Thailand- Chiang Mai day three
We are concerned that we have run out of things to do! We head back to the room to take a nap after breakfast.
You coffee lovers would really enjoy this place. The vibe is very Seattle. Rap music is playing. Coffee is being ground per the cup. Water is served in shot glass size servings along side the coffee.
While I nap, John is researching Chiang Mai and finds some things to keep us occupied. We get a grab and head out!
First stop, Ristr8to coffee shop. A trendy cafe that takes it's coffee VERY seriously!
While walking further to find a restaurant, I get so hungry that I'm tempted to eat and McDonald's. We turn a corner and find a spot of heaven! It is a wonderful restaurant called "The salad concept". It's clean and has a menu just for me! I immediately see the crisp and refreshing salad fixings behind a sterile glass case. The menu tries to overwhelm me but I persevere. I start with a beetroot, celery and apple juice.
My meal consists of a chicken wrap with personalized toppings. to ensure that I have plenty of energy for the day, I order a matcha oat latte to go. I think it has an espresso floater on top. 😬
John ordered a butterfly pea tea drink, which he had found that he loves. He even ordered some on Amazon and already had it delivered to the house for when we return. He ate a quesadilla that he said tasted more like a salad than a quesadilla... Then he actually saw the name is the restaurant. 😸 Here is our food ..
My wrap used a "traditional to Thai culture" (roti) for the wrap instead of a tortilla. It is much thinner and a little stretchier. You can find food carts and whole cafes that sell roti's with just about everything in them from Nutella to shrimp.
We hit the streets again and soon stumble on an absolutely perfect outdoor market!
I have hit the mother load! There were actual authentic Thai crafted goods here instead of the touristy junk sold at the night markets. Hand died and woven bags and garments from the local Karen tribe, crocheted keychains, locally designed and sewn dresses, etc. John clears his wallet of all his cash and takes off to get a massage while I skillfully spend every last cent! I end off by getting an almond croissant because that espresso matcha has me very amped!
I think I need to get protein to balance the sugar and caffeine! I'm feeling super out of balance and tilting quick. 😩 Ugh. It sucks having such a fragile constitution.
As luck is with me today, I found some food trucks and got a chicken kabob. I'm not sure if that's what it is called here- maybe just chicken on a stick! It taste so good! I'm feeling better already.
I think I might have had enough sugar though, so maybe no.
John and I meet back up and continue walking around. This day has turned out pretty great. It's time for dinner though so we find a tiny restaurant called Tajama village farm.
They have mainly steak products. They imported wagyu cattle from Japan and breed them with Thailand beef which is stockier. The result is pretty tasty and hopefully a more ethical beef. John orders carbonara and hanger steak. I order beef cheeks and garlic bread. John then proceeds to order a second hanger steak and a beef cheeks also. Remember, these portions are Thai size. Don't judge! One thing that I've noticed about Thailand is that they bring the dishes out of the kitchen as they are ready instead of sticking them under a light for everyone's food to be brought out at the same time. This means that everyone eats at different times but your food is often hot and much more enjoyable. There is often only one cook in the kitchen so your dinner partner could be done eating 15 minutes before you get your meal.
Ice cream that looks like puppies and kitties...
Napkins are rolls of toilet paper on the table dispensed out of a plastic box or... In nicer restaurants, tiny squares of tissue (see below)
Random artwork is everywhere!
Ok, so you remember my matcha latte? Well, I should have walked away... Or at least only drank half of it. I am now so entirely off kilter that I chose to drink a glass of wine to come down off the high so that I can sleep tonight. Well... because I don't drink much, the half glass of white wine has now given me cold sweats and nausea (I know, I sounds like an absolute basket case!) I down a bottle of water and force myself to finish dinner... All of it. We head home. I take digest enzymes, shower and I start to balance out. Feeling better!
I don't know how john puts up with me! I frustrate myself more often than not! I guess I got lucky to have someone in my life that understands me and anticipates my quirks, sometimes before I do. He is always reminding me to use the bathroom before I lose my chance, as I often don't need to until it's too late. He is also kind by not judging me when I get myself into situations like today drinking way to much caffeine and making bad decisions.
Well, tomorrow is travel day! Back to Bangkok!

🥰
ReplyDelete